Hot off the press, the Library Reads August 2014 list!
We’ve got the first in a new series from library fav Chelsea Cain. Lev Grossman wraps up the adventures of Magician’s trilogy. A BEA Buzz book: The Miniaturist!
New books from staff and patron favorites Amy Bloom, Liane Moriarty, John Scalzi, and Thirty Umrigar. Everyone’s favorite mother and son writing team bring us latest historical mystery in An Unwilling Accomplice.
And a little something, something for the romance readers from Susan Elizabeth Phillips and Katie MacAlister.
This book »
ignore my fatty hand and messy background thanks
To celebrate 1K followers (200 late because of uni and moving), I’m hosting another giveaway! I’m hosting it with The Book Depository because it worked perfectly last time! I picked out the first books I saw on my dashboard because if you reblog it, then you like it or want it, and this is a thank you to all of you!
The books to choose from:
Pride and Prejudice, Divergent, Looking for Alaska, A Great and Terrible Beauty, If I Stay, The Sky is Everywhere, Lola and the Boy Next Door, This Is What Happy Looks Like, and The Final Empire
- Open internationally
- Because this is a giveaway for my followers, you must be following me (I will check!)
- You can like or reblog this as much as you want, but don’t spam your own wonderful followers with it :)
- No giveaway blogs please!
- There is just one winner
- The winner has to be comfortable with giving me their address (I can’t send you the books otherwise!)
- If the winner doesn’t reply in 24 hours, I’ll pick another winner
- You can pick hardcover or paperback, and whichever edition you want as long as it’s under $20 (because some covers are just prettier than others or look nicer on different people’s bookshelves)
- Ends on 31 July! (Because it’s Harry’s birthday I don’t know haha)
Good luck and thank you all for being lovely human beings!
Edit: Winner is chosen by a random generator!
Someone left us a present! A traveling copy of Freaky Friday (RIP, Mary Rodgers) with a very intriguing Post-it note on the cover, and a code written on the side:
Bookcrossing.com is a site that connects people through books — you catch a book, read it, release it again, and log it on the site with your comments. Entering the code on our copy of Freaky Friday revealed a poignant message from user ResQgeek: “Registered in memory of my daughter, who was tragically killed on 30 August 2010.”
We’re sorry for your loss — and we’ll pass the book on!
Ceramic book quote
From the inside looking out.
I hate having to work on nice days. I want to read outside!!!
Eudora Welty died in her family house in Jackson, MS on this day in 2001 (aged 92). She is buried in Greenwood Cemetery in Jackson.
On her headstone is a quote from The Optimist’s Daughter: “For her life, any life, she had to believe, was nothing but the continuity of its love.”